We live in minutes, not hours; in moments, and breaths and heartbeats. A pinch of salt makes all the difference to a tasty meal and touch of perfume evokes memories we thought we'd long forgotten. Details matter. Moments matter; and if you blink, you'll miss it.
Despite this, we place a huge emphasis of big events, extravaganzas, and epic experiences. Yet it's small moments, those unexpected almost casual interactions with family, places, people and things that can leave lasting impact. These are the things we remember.
Right now, it's school holidays. And our local shopping plaza has created a beautiful indoors tropical rainforest for children and shoppers to enjoy. It's beautiful and everyone has enjoyed the huge display, but not everyone realises that, hidden with the foliage, lurk hidden creatures. There's a vivid green tree-frog, a large python coiled around a treetrunk, a goanna and even a large cassowary.
Yes, hundreds of people have walked past and enjoyed the display without realising just how much they're missing.
You see, the rainforest has been created to encourage children, and adults, to view the rainforest with more than just a cursory glance. They've even included a stand of buttons for kids to press. Once a particular button has been touched, a spotlight shines on the half-hidden creature and its recorded sound can be heard.
I'm sure you can image the delight of the kids... and the surprise of many adults.
Occasionally, there is a special moment. Soft mist begins to drift around the trees and foliage. It swirls around the kids exploring the rainforest area and thickens for a short time before drifting up to the ceiling.
It's only a small detail... just a little moment of enchanting mist.... and then it's gone. But the delight of the children lingers.
These are the small details that make memories. These are the moments in our lives that we need to look for and enjoy before they're gone forever.
Please join me this month as I suggest some small but rewarding moments that you can add to your life and the lives of your family, your children or grandkids. Our lives are often too busy to notice the memorable details. We focus too much attention of the big, the loud, the impressive, the demanding things in our lives. Instead, let's take 31 days to fall in love with moments. Let's live in these small moments and make them so beautiful that they will be worth remembering.
31 days to small-moment living.
1. Watercolour Moments- finding enjoyment in small moment living
2. How to create some memorable, and healthy, family moments.
3. How to make a simple Memory Jar to extend family memories
4. Sunday... no article today, sorry.
5. How to turn a simple muffin into Muffin Magic
6. How to find sunshine when the day has gone badly
7. How to make a Blackboard Memory Plate
8. Why music matters for family moments and memories
9. 7 Amazing journaling apps to bring your memories to life
10. Master the art of memorable family desserts- 4 simple ideas
11. Sunday... no article today, sorry.
12.Your key to remembering moments- a daily journal
13. Want a wealth of wonderful memories? Focus on encouragement.
14. How to turn your tea party moments from blah to fantastic!
15.Everyone enjoys laughter. Make it a part of your family moments.
16.Cracking the cooking-with-kids code.. with mosaic biscuits
18. Sunday.... no article today, sorry.
19. 5 Simple things to do for sick kids
20. Your ultimate guide to a memorable afternoon tea with kids
21. Your grandkids fingerprints.. the best place to find them.
22.Celebrating the moments- a review of 'And it was beautiful'
23. Retro recipes- remembering family moments
25. Sunday... no article today, sorry.
You might also enjoy...
I've decided to accept the 31Day blogging challenge with my own focus for the month: falling in love with small moments.